CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday 5 November 2009

My life as a foreign biologist

Not until my second year in the U.K i realised the chance im having now. Being in the foreign country. To be here as a Malaysian despite of cheap flights by AirAsia is still a rare event. It is 13-hour flight journey and the weather is completely different from what we have in Malaysia, warm and wet. The first language is English and the cultures are absolutely alien to us. I never bother about those facts not until this afternoon when 3 of us; me, Diana and Karina; all from different countries were trying to communicate in the laboratory. Diana, my lab partner from Bulgaria and Karina from Russia. We were talking in our own English-slang to discuss about our dilution of bacteria culture and we kept repeating, trying to make each other to get the idea we were trying to deliver. It was a serious discussion ended up with smiles when each of us understood each other.

Diana is my lab partner cum tutorialmate since last year and we hardly understand each others' slang last year. It is much better this year and yet there are some points where i need to ask my same-root friends; hypo, milo, naz and helwa what we are doing during the labs. The report will be much more complicated since most of the marks are from discussions and planning of experiments. Hope i'll do fine insyaAllah. There is another deadline approaching which i haven't started researching yet. The piles of works are killing me but i promised myself to do better this year and to be more organised. The first deadline, our hypothesis-presenting tutorial was awesome. I am calmer compared to last year when communicating with my tutorial group especially the part when i have to make my tutor, an ecologist to understand the non-ecology stuff we discuss. And yeah, one of my tutorialmate, Sean, is an actor of Britain's movies, who is so down to earth and another one, Zoey is a professional dancer. Awesome innit?

I have many things in my mind that i wish i can do before graduating in 2011 insyaAllah and yet workloads are demanding for most of my hours and lacking of ATP energy producing which result in early bedtime are the factors to postpone all the thinking. If i am more organised, do you think i can fulfill my wants e.g travel outside the U.K during weekends? :P No need to answer that, thats so obvious. Until then, see you :)

0 comments: